os10 server gotchas
setting up an os10 server to host roaming logins is a pain in the ass process that's nowhere near as straightforward as crapple makes it sound. here're some things I've learned:
1. make sure none of the shortnames in the ldap db collide with local shortnames on any client boxes. if netinfo can find info in both places, things wedge up badly.
2. don't even try to attempt this based only on apple documentation. scour the web and get some 3rd party books before you start.
3. it doesn't seem possible to only automount valid home and group directories in os10 client - you end up with their parent directories. not the cleanest looking setup, but at least it works.
4. if you want a roaming user to have client admin access, you must add that shortname to the local netinfo db on the client - setting up admin privs in workgroup manager doesn't cut it. log out & back in for changes to take effect.
I'm sure I've missed some and there'll be more as I go along, but that's a start.
1. make sure none of the shortnames in the ldap db collide with local shortnames on any client boxes. if netinfo can find info in both places, things wedge up badly.
2. don't even try to attempt this based only on apple documentation. scour the web and get some 3rd party books before you start.
3. it doesn't seem possible to only automount valid home and group directories in os10 client - you end up with their parent directories. not the cleanest looking setup, but at least it works.
4. if you want a roaming user to have client admin access, you must add that shortname to the local netinfo db on the client - setting up admin privs in workgroup manager doesn't cut it. log out & back in for changes to take effect.
I'm sure I've missed some and there'll be more as I go along, but that's a start.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home