kvm undesign

what is it about kvms that brings out the worst in designers? they seem so useful in concept - use one mouse/kbd for n computers, but inevitably fall apart in execution (full disclosure: I have yet to try an $$$ enterprise-level unit). I ordered a startech sv431usb and the small-with-a-large-name sv221micusba.
the first is a 4 port "professional" switch, yet it doesn't support hotkey switching. what? I thought that once defining features like that were introduced, every single model from there on out should support it. what's a kvm w/o hotkey switching? like a mouse with no buttons: rather useless.
the economy sv221micusba was the cheapest two port usb kvm I could find. usb support is necessary as I'm primarily switching apple hardware, so imagine my suprise to find that when they say 'usb', they mean ps/2->usb. luckily I have a usb->ps/2 adaptor for the mouse, and I use a kbd that requires a ps/2->usb adaptor anyway. I don't see the point though. why not usb in/out? the people that have all ps/2 gear are likely people that still require it for crappy intel bios support anyway. at least they got the obligatory blue led syndrome nailed.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home